Flood Information

The City of Kinston recognizes the danger of flooding, and has taken many steps to protect its citizens and their property. Kinston currently coordinates with Lenoir County Emergency Management during flooding emergencies and maintains GIS maps of Kinston that show areas prone to flooding.

To read a history of Hurricane Matthew and the City of Kinston’s response to the increasing need for flood resiliency visit our Flood Prevention-Hurricane Matthew page.

The City of Kinston also participates in the National Floodplain Insurance Program’s (NFIP) Community Rating System, a voluntary incentive program that recognizes and encourages community floodplain management activities that exceed the minimum NFIP requirements. This is a point system program that reduces flood insurance premiums for the citizens of participating communities. The City’s current CRS rating is a Class 7 (the lower the better). This classification means Kinston residents in the Special Flood Hazard Area (SFHA) with flood insurance receive a 15% reduction on flood insurance premiums. 

Below are links to information about the NFIP and flood resources before, during, and after a storm. 

Before You Flood--Preparation Activities and Resources

  1. Am I In the Floodplain?
  2. Getting Flood Insurance
  3. Flood Protection Information Directory
  4. Flood Preparation for Your Family
  5. Before You Build
  6. Protect Natural Floodplain Functions

The source of flooding concern in the City of Kinston is the Neuse River. Areas in the floodplain can flood with water during severe thunderstorms, hurricanes, nor’easters, or other large rain events. Find out if you are in the flood plain by:

  1. Searching your address on the published Flood Insurance Rate Maps (FIRM)
  2. Calling the Planning Department at 252-939-3269 or 252-939-3271

During the Flood

  1. Declaring a State of Emergency
  2. Who's in Charge?
  3. Resources During Flooding
  4. Neuse River Level Real Time

Federal, state, and local governments can all declare states of emergency in times of crisis

Local: The city council or mayor, or county commissioners or their board chair, can declare a state of emergency. This triggers emergency powers and the local emergency operations plans. It also legally imposes measures like evacuations and curfews. Finally, it can be a requirement for receiving state and federal reimbursement for emergency-related expenses.

State: A state of emergency can be declared by the Governor or the General Assembly. This declaration speeds up the use of state resources to help local areas.

Federal: A state or tribal government can ask for a state of emergency declaration when they determine that the damage of a disaster is beyond their capacity to handle. Only then can the President declare a state of emergency. Once the state of emergency is declared, the federal government can provide Public Assistance, Individual Assistance, and Hazard Mitigation Assistance programs.

After the Flood-Immediate Resources

  1. When Can I Go Home?
  2. Returning Home After a Flood
  3. Short Term Resources
  4. How Can I Help?

Monitor local news sources and emergency communications (see the above tab "Resources During Flooding") for general information about when a flood hazard or storm hazard has ended. If you have specific questions regarding your address, call the Planning Department at 252-939-3269 and they will answer according to the information available.

Where Do We Go From Here?- Long Term Recovery and Resilience

  1. Local Resources
  2. State Resources
  3. Federal Resources
  • FEMA Resources for Kinston and Lenoir County
  • The City of Kinston Planning Department can provide information about your flood risk, obtaining flood insurance, building regulations, property protection advice, protection advice after visiting your property, and financial assistance advice for protecting your home against future flood damage. See contact information at the bottom of the page.

Elevation Certificates

Attached is a list of all properties that have applied to build on land in the Special Flood Hazard Area and produced an Elevation Certificate