- Certified Police Officer
Certified Police Officer
Who can apply:
This position is for the Officer/Person holding a current Basic Law Enforcement Certification in North Carolina or a current Law Enforcement Certification within a State. A Basic Law Enforcement Training student may apply for this position if they have currently made it half way through a day Basic Law Enforcement Training Class. The student will also have to get submit a letter of recommendation from their Basic Law Enforcement Training Director as to standing and completion of the class.
The Officer performs protective service work involving a variety of general or support duty police assignments, and related work as required. Work is performed under the immediate supervision of the Police Sergeant.
- On an assigned shift, operates a patrol car to observe for violations of City, county or state laws, suspicious activities or persons and disturbances of law and order.
- Responds to radio dispatches and answers calls and complaints; administers first aid.
- Serves warrants and makes arrests; testifies in court.
- Checks building security; responds to business and bank alarms.
- Operates police traffic radar for speed law enforcement.
- Investigates traffic accidents; secures information and evidence; directs traffic and enforces traffic laws; conducts traffic surveys and checks.
- Provides police escorts for parades, funerals, prisoners, bank deposits and special events.
- Reports unsafe conditions existing in street or other public facilities.
- Conducts and assists with criminal investigations by preserving evidence, interviewing victims and witnesses, performing property and evidence duties.
- Prepares detailed reports.
- May be assigned specific collateral duties such as administrative, special response team, special operations, school resource officer, investigations, animal control, etc.
- Performs related tasks as required.
- Must possess either a B.L.E.T or State certification.
- High school diploma or GED, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Must meet minimum age requirement of 20 years old.
- Some knowledge of police methods, practices and procedures.
- Some knowledge of the geography of the City and location of important buildings.
- Some knowledge of the rules and regulations of the Police Department.
- Ability to understand and carry out oral and written instructions and to prepare clear reports.
- Ability to deal courteously but firmly with the public.
- Ability to analyze situations and to adopt quick, effective and reasonable courses of action with due regard to surrounding hazards and circumstances.
- Skill in the use of firearms and the operation of an automobile.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective relationship with associates and the general public.
- Must meet and maintain minimum training and experience requirements for position as established by the department and the State of North Carolina.
This work requires the regular exertion of up to 10 pounds of force, frequent exertion of up to 25 pounds of force and occasional exertion of up to 100 pounds of force; work regularly requires speaking or hearing and using hands to finger, handle or feel, frequently sitting and occasionally requires standing, walking, climbing or balancing, stooping, kneeling, crouching or crawling, reaching with hands and arms, pushing or pulling and lifting; work requires close vision, distance vision, ability to adjust focus, depth perception, color perception and night vision; vocal communication is required for expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word and conveying detailed or important instructions to others accurately, loudly or quickly; hearing is required to perceive information at normal spoken word levels and to receive detailed information through oral communications and/or to make fine distinctions in sound; work requires preparing and analyzing written or computer data, visual inspection involving small defects and/or small parts, use of measuring devices, operating motor vehicles or equipment and observing general surroundings and activities; work regularly requires exposure to outdoor weather conditions and occasionally requires exposure to extreme cold (non-weather), exposure to extreme heat (non-weather) and exposure to bloodborne pathogens and may be required to wear specialized personal protective equipment; work is generally in a loud noise location (e.g. heavy traffic, large earth-moving equipment).
Extra Required Information:
- City of Kinston Release Form (Has to be notarized & original turned in)
- Criminal Justice Standards Release Form (Has to be notarized & original turned in)
- F-3 (Has to be notarized & original turned in)
- Copy of BLET Certification
- Copy of General/Intermediate/or Advanced Certification (in NC) or copy from the state that your current certification is held in (If applicable)
- Copy of any separations from Departments that the applicant has worked in the past. (F-5B for CJ Standards or F-5 for Sheriff's Standards)
- Copy of SS Card
- Copy of Birth Certificate
- Copy of paperwork if you had a legal name change (ie: Marriage or changed for personal reasons)
- Copy of Valid Driver's License (If out of state you will have to be able to obtain a NC License)
- Copy of High School Diploma / GED or transcripts
- Copy of College Degree or Transcripts (If applicable)
- Copy of Military Discharge papers (DD214 with discharge and re-entry codes. if applicable)
- Certified Driver's History from all states where the applicant held a license.
- Certified Criminal History’s from place's applicant has lived since 16 years of age.
- One complete credit history report